SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT

SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE

March 29, 2007

These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.

Present: Ralph Cabana, Jake Viola, Mark Reuscher, Ralph Baxter, Sr., Craig Roberts, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Dennis Welch, Jeanne Crocker, Steve Bailey, Dan Cecil, Scott Pakulski, Dave Brochu, Suzanne Godin, Sylvia Green, Ellen Brasier, Kathy Germani, Wendy Houlihan, Coral Sandler, Randy Martin, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Megan Welter and Polly Ward. Guests: Claude Morgan, John York, Steve Filieo.

1. Welcome -- review of agenda

  • Introduction of committee and guests
2. Approval of minutes from February 15, 2007
  • Approved
3. Update re City Council Workshop presentation, March 26, 2007
    i. Prep for April 23 tour and continuation of workshop with City Council Tour
  • The proposal is that the City Council will tour the High School from 12-1 pm on Monday, April 23, 2007
  • There will be a continuation of the workshop with the City Council on the High School project on 4/23/07
  • The workshop may start at 6 p.m. with the first hour spent on the FY08 budget. It is anticipated that the workshop on the project will start at 7 p.m. and there will be 90 minutes allowed for discussion of the project. May want to spend some additional time on the educational reasons for the plan.
  • To prepare for tour, will need meeting with Jeanne et al and will need to have a floor plan of the building
  • Discussion of the plan with the City Council may take 2 more meetings. Recap of highlights from March 26
  • Claude suggested that we be prepared to answer why we are planning to build on such a problematic location. Construction process Design features
  • If put bleachers back in Beal may lose as much as 25% of current bleacher seating. Would not have the capacity to hold an indoor graduation; would have a number of sold out events; would have no space large enough for the entire student body and staff.
  • Would be spending about $275,000 to perform minimal renovation and life-safety on Beal if there is a new Gym. Budget specifics
  • Will probably start with Dan Robbins on the budget and the phasing at the workshop with the City Council
  • Gym renovation vs. new Gym and minor renovations Beal difference in cost would be roughly $1.2M. This does not take into consideration loss of PE and Athletics space for a year.
4. Newsletters from the schools - first article... same from all schools
    i. Updates to the web site? Q & A
  • Wendy has worked with Sarah Pinault to set up a separate link to the SSFC.
  • Harriman has some material that they will send to go on the Web site
  • Need to have a Questions and Answer section
    • Wendy shared an email from Dave Bourke that was forwarded by Maxine Beecher
  • Need to tell people about the website
  • Basic narrative about what has happened and what will happen
  • Encourage PTAs/Neighborhood groups to contact us to come to them to explain this process
    • Will ask Molly to be the contact person for these groups
    ii. Wendy will draft some language for the newsletters
  • Coral suggested having a student meeting after school that Coral and Jake could lead
  • Ralph suggested an email message system to people who ask for it similar to the weekly Memorial email to keep people informed about the progress of the project
  • Dave suggested that we ask Dana Anderson to come to a meeting to share his input on explaining the project and the collaboration with Parks and Rec.
5. Other
    i. Continue prep of middle school application to submit to the State
  • Haven't done anything since last meeting
  • Need meeting with Dave Brochu to get things together
  • Will need to keep updated on the progress of the changes to the rating system in Augusta
  • Wendy handed out an email from Molly Aldrich following the meeting at Small
  • Dave reported that Ed Antz had called him and said that the state was trying to get money for the revolving renovation fund
Public Comments
  • Claude apologized for his words to The Forecaster - has heard criticism about owning the channels of communication - Wendy said that the role of the schools is to provide factual information.
  • Steve - main entrance into theater and building
    • Scott - held onto the geometry of lobby space, extended it out
  • Theater area and workshop seem to be contained by the cafeteria and kitchen
  • Dan said that they would do nothing to diminish the capacity of the theater program
  • Ralph Cabana and Sue Mooney have been discussing the scheduling of a voter registration event at the High School sometime this spring
  • Harriman Trip on 3/30/07 - 17 South Portland students will be visiting Harriman for a tour. Next meeting: April 12, 2007 - Cancelled April 26, 2007 - 6.30 - 8.30 @ SPHS Library