|SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE
April 26, 2007
These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.
Present: Ralph Cabana, Wendy Houlihan, Dan Cecil, Suzanne Godin, Ralph Baxter, Sr., Dave Brochu, Steve Bailey, Dennis Welch, Coral Sandler, Scott Pakulski, Megan Welter, Molly Aldrich, Kevin Woodhouse, Kathy Germani, Randy Martin and Polly Ward.
1. Welcome – review of agenda
2. Approval of minutes from March 29, 2007
3. Update re City Council Workshop – April 23, 2007
- City Council had very good questions and seemed supportive
- Dan did a wonderful job
- City Council would like to expedite their vote to put the question regarding the project on the November ballot – The City Council may have the item scheduled in early May
- Wendy shared the spreadsheet created by Rob Coombs that shows the bonding and principal and interest payments through 2033
- The Committee would like to recommend that the Bond Ordinance read $56,000,000
- Dan thanked Coral and Jake for the tour that was provided to the City Council – they were fantastic
- Scott thanked Dave and his crew for their help in putting together the tour.
4. Updates re Beal Gym renovation
- Revised 4/23/07 – Comparison of Beal renovation to New Gym
- Had to include re-roofing of Beal Gym that had not been included in the earlier estimate of the Beal gym renovation
- The roof will need to be dealt with in the near future
5. Geothermal exploration/information
- Talking to 2 firms about doing geotechnical work to determine if there is a possibility of having a geothermal approach to energy source
- This will take about 30 days before it can be determined if this might work and have a cost estimate.
6. Review of timeline – next steps
- Polly provided a time line with action steps, who is assigned and dates – the Committee reviewed the timeline and added a number of additional items.
- It was suggested that we have a schedule of all the dates of activities explaining the project so people can go to those that best meet their schedules
i. Continue prep of middle school application to submit to the State
- No information on when the State may be accepting applications for the Middle Schools
- Dan tried to cluster the questions brainstormed by Harriman and in the minutes to come up with a list that could be displayed and answered on the website
- Beginning to organize and draft answers – will circulate answers
- Dan and Scott will be drafting the Q&A with help from the committee – end of May for being on the web site
- Schedule a meeting with Music Boosters, Sports Boosters
- Scott is trying to come up with more animated, easier to understand graphics.
- Suggestion that there be a page for Jake and Coral
- Wendy provided a schedule for the remainder of 2007 and a tentative schedule for the first half of 2008
- Communication to the public needs to be clear and accurate
- People have questioned why there is a new gym as part of the project. Additionally, at one time the old portion of the building was referred to as the 30s building – the old portion of the building was built in the 1950
Next meeting: May 10, 2007 – 6.30 SPHS Library