SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE
May 10, 2007
These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.
Present: Dan Cecil, Ellen Brasier, Ralph Baxter, Sr., Wendy Houlihan, Suzanne Godin, Steve Bailey, Jeanne Crocker, Kathy Germani, Megan Welter and Polly Ward.
1. Welcome – review of agenda
2. Approval of minutes from April 26, 2007
3. Updates from Scott and Dan
- Scott is at Skillin tonight to talk about the high school project.
- Dan reviewed the work they are doing on the drawings for the web site
- Have received a draft proposal on geothermic exploration – the proposal is high, Dan will try to meet with them soon to go over the proposal.
4. Update re City Council Meeting, May 7, 2007, and next steps
- Wendy distributed the proposed bond ordinance being considered by the Council
- Council voted 6-1 to pass this ordinance onto second reading
- Jake Viola spoke eloquently to this item.
5. Planning for meeting/video of “critical friends”
- Molly suggested broad-based group of local people to come together and ask a series of questions – then tape it so that it can be shown on TV.
6. Planning for Virtual Tour inc. video
- Julie York is ready to do it, she has identified the students who will do it
- Coral and Jake are willing to do this
- Would be nice to have some tour participants:
- Could ask the members of Chalkboard
- Another alternative would be to see if there would be some Brown and/or Skillin parents
- May be interesting to have some Middle School students with their parents, e.g., two 7 th graders from each school.
7. Planning for meeting with school “neighbors”
8. Review of Timelines
i. Draft of letter… first communication
ii. Updates from Randy (Brown School PTA)
- Kathy, Randy and Scott attended.
- Were asked why we were doing the high school before the middle schools
- Randy will be bringing the questions from the meeting at Brown
- Randy did a wonderful presentation and was able to answer the questions about the project.
- June 7, 2007 – 3D model from Harriman
Next meetings: June 7, 2007 and June 21, 2007 – 6.30 SPHS library