SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT

SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE

Thursday July 19, 2007

MEETING NOTES

These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.

Present: Ralph Cabana, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Ralph Baxter, Jeanne Crocker, Dan Cecil, Scott Pakulski, Dave Brochu, Suzanne Godin, Kathy Germani, Craig Roberts, Cindy McConnell, Steve Bailey and Polly Ward.

1. Welcome – review of agenda

  • Introduction of Cindy McConnell from Harriman

2. Approval of minutes from June 21, 2007

  • Approved

3. Review of Boards / Visuals – updates (brief)

  • Harriman showed 2 views each of the different facades of the building. Next step is animation – may take 1 ½ - 2 minutes.
  • They are going to tweak the image of the main entrance to make it more prominent.

4. Preview / Response to FAQ’s for website posting

  • Cost of operation
    • With new R value - $.3 to $.35 / sf/year - current usage $1.05/sf/year
  • First page – short descriptive bullets with drill down capability for more description
  • 4 main talking points
    • Educational Benefits
    • Safety/Security
    • Benefit to Community
    • Fiscal Responsibility/Impact
  • All of the sub-parts can be covered by these

5. Preview / Response to Informational Brochure

  • Jeanne will develop a couple of sentences on how the project benefits the educational environment for our students
  • Use the four different headers and develop them
  • Need to clearly articulate that this will be a building for the next 50 years.
  • Pictures of students
  • Emails and/or graphics to Scott, Dan and Cindy camcc@harriman.com - Cindy is the primary contact
  • Check the names of people on the committee to see if they all still consider themselves on the committee.

6. PAC creation / representation

  • Carrie talked to Angela Griffiths – she is willing to act as an advisor to the chair
  • PAC – raise some money, put things in newspapers, advocacy materials
  • Need a treasurer to keep record and know what you can/can’t do
  • Need to come up with a name
  • Craig will arrange the first meeting and pull a group of people together to develop a plan and select leadership

7. Timeline update – next steps

  • Voter registration at the High School in the fall
  • Invite opinion leaders in the community – Steve and Suzanne to ask Jane for a balanced list of people to invite
  • Polly will call Mary Perry re: Art in the Park Display in Millcreek

8. Other

Next meeting: August 2, 2007 – 6.30 SPHS library