SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT

SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE

Thursday August 16, 2007

MEETING NOTES

These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.

Present: Kevin Woodhouse, Randy Martin, Ralph Baxter, Sr., Kathy Germani, Dave Brochu, Steve Bailey, Jeanne Crocker, Dan Cecil, Scott Pakulski, Sylvia Green, Jake Viola and Polly Ward.

1. Welcome – review of agenda

2. Approval of minutes from August 2, 2007

  • Approved

3. Review of Informational Brochure – final editing

  • The committee provided input on the language in the proposed brochure
  • Dave will call Mary Kahl about whether there are any legal reasons that the Golf Course site could not be used for a school site
  • Scott gave Steve the extra copies of the draft brochure so that people who were not at this meeting would get one more shot at editing.
  • Need to have the brochure ready when everyone returns – about 1000 for the first day
  • Dave will talk to the Westbrook printer and Polly will ask Sarah to get two other quotes.
    • Brochures on Newsprint

4. Review of FAQ’s for website posting

5. PAC update

  • Four people from the PAC came and took a tour of the building tonight. It is always great to have Jake and/or Coral leading the tour.
    • Tour went very well – very good questions
  • Will be meeting again on 8/22/07
  • Planning a tri-fold to go out supporting the project

6. Timeline update – next steps

  • Video – Dan looked at before the last meeting – 2 or 3 places where information needs to be corrected.
  • Jeanne and Steve will take another look at the video
  • Sylvia suggested including some photos of the problem areas
  • Jake will come up with the top 10 deficiencies from a student’s perspective and we will get photos taken – could have someone explain the deficiencies and show it on public television
  • Publicize some times when there will be tours so people can see the inside of the buildings.
  • Can combine the meetings of the sports and music boosters
    • Kevin can start this at his meeting next week
    • Dan will provide some possible dates – potentially 9/10/07 or 9/17/07
    • Kevin will contact the head of the music boosters
  • Find list of people for feedback forums - Wendy had a list – bring to 8/30/07 meeting
  • School Tours 9/24/07 at 6.30pm
    • Also Sunday 9/30 and 10/21, perhaps at different times.
    • Another night, afternoon
  • Need to check the legality of handing out information at our games. Jake volunteered to attend South Portland games and hand out informational brochures.

7. Other

  • Dave picked up the dividers from Ralph Baxter, Jr.

Next meeting: August 30 , 2007 – 6.30 SPHS library