SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT

SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE

Thursday August 2, 2007

MEETING NOTES

These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.

Present: Ralph Cabana, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Ralph Baxter, Jeanne Crocker, Dan Cecil, Scott Pakulski, Dave Brochu, Suzanne Godin, Coral Sandler, Jake Viola and Steve Bailey.

1. Welcome – review of agenda

2. Approval of minutes from July 19, 2007

  • Approved

3. Review of Informational Brochure

  • Scott and Dan are available to meet with/PAC to support their work in September. Craig will contact Scott and Dan
  • Graphics are up to date on the website
  • The brochure needs to be completed by the third week of August
    • Has to be factual – no advocacy for the project
    • First page should explain that the process has taken two years to lead to this project.
    • Assignment for committee
      • How will the overall project benefit the South Portland Community?
      • What would be the tax impact on the average house – Polly
        • Impact = extra dollars/$1000 valuation
        • # cups of coffee
        • Payments peak in the second year and decline in the next 18 years
        • Average house value = $240,000
      • How to accommodate future student enrollment growth?
    • Homework – Everyone read through for editing – Final edit August 16 th
  • Distribution – Bulk Mail – Distribute Community wide. Last week of August/First week of September
  • Open Houses and Building Functions
  • Need to Address:
    • Why is a second gym required?
    • Why are we doing the project? – 1 st page
  • Homework - Everyone to send 2-3 pictures to Suzanne with identification of students for inclusion in brochure.
  • Beginning of video – Need to have a shot of kids during class change and a shot of the café serving line at lunch – Preseason Pictures

4. Review of FAQ’s for website posting

  • Information from the Brochure will be used to update the FAQs

5. PAC update

  • Email from Craig – the committee answered the questions raised in the email(see sheet)

6. Timeline update – next steps

7. Other

  • VFA: Dave presented cost estimates for 2008-2012 of building system replacements that will be needed at the High School. Equal approximately 8 million.
  • Scott presented a 90 second aerial animation depicting a virtual tour of the proposed building.
  • Displays
    • For Rec. Center, Main Library and City Hall
    • Shrink Wrap with plastic?
    • How to secure easels? Velcro? Dave and Suzanne
    • Dave will pick up partitions from Ralph Baxter Jr.
  • Maria Sorenson – remind committee members about meeting dates and the upcoming schedule.
  • Tour video – talk about at 8/16/07 meeting

Next meeting: August 16, 2007 – 6.30 SPHS library