SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT

SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE

Thursday August 16, 2007

MEETING NOTES

These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.

Present: Ralph Cabana, Sylvia Green, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Suzanne Godin, Ralph Baxter, Steve Bailey, Kathy Germani, Randy Martin, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Scott Pakulski, Dave Brochu, Jake Viola, Megan Welter, Jeanne Crocker, Molly Aldrich, Dan Cecil, Kevin Woodhouse and Polly Ward

Guest: Rob Coombs

1. Welcome – review of agenda

2. Approval of minutes from September 13, 2007

  • One amendment – Tour on 10/10 – Randy will be there as will Dan or Scott

3. Informational Brochure distribution - updates

  • Jake gave about 2000 brochures to Shaws – hasn’t been able to get approval to put at Hannafords
  • Smaha’s said we could display
  • Amato’s said no
  • Pizza Joint said yes – Kathy Germani will deliver
  • Coral put some at Q street, 158 bakery
  • Need to check on getting them out in totes
    • Small and Skillin may not have been sent out
  • Ralph Cabana distributed to CVS, Tru-Value, Uncle Andy’s and Mr. Bagel
  • Molly will take to the Betsey Ross House
  • Ralph Baxter Sr. went to Broadway gardens – they said no
  • Flyer distribution – Suzanne delineated the map by elementary school district
    • Sylvia will take the Skillin area
    • Ralph Baxter Sr. will take the Dyer district
    • Randy will take the Brown district
    • Steve and Molly will do Small
    • Carrie will do Kaler – Kathy Germani will work with her
    • To be done before 10/21
  • Can we get a list of people in the PAC when everything is ready

4. Tour, Presentation and Display updates

  • Discussion of the tours thus far and questions that have been raised
  • Carrie suggested a large public forum so people can see the tape and ask any questions
  • Two public forums – one at the High School, one at the Community Center
  • 9/30 Tour– Dan will try to be there
  • Steve will put out a list of the additional presentations to ask for volunteers
  • Dave suggested something in the Redbank area
  • Jeanne provided an outline of the tour – took almost two hours
    • Need to add something on Beals gym and the outside of the building
  • Rec soccer at Wainwright – we can begin distributing this weekend - Molly volunteered

5. PAC update

  • Steve, Suzanne and Polly will be meeting tomorrow with Susan Adams and Ellen Clancy
  • May need to have some additional meetings regarding the music program or some outreach in writing
  • Dan and Scott will craft explicit response to the identified concerns that have been raised
  • Steve reviewed the questions from the PAC

6. Timeline update – next steps

  • Video to be aired may be ready within a week to a week and a half
  • Meeting on Artificial Turf should be just after the project passes

7. Other

  • Based on Mahoney parent forum questions, Steve asked Rob Coombs to come and take us through the financial data presented at the meeting with City Council in April 2007
  • Suggestion that the sheet provided by Rob be put on the website.
  • Ralph suggested having an insert to the brochures that explain the labels and provide the financial information.
  • Jeanne suggested putting a slide on SPTV that shows how the costs will impact the residential taxpayer.
  • Molly asked for a single page to explain the cost of the project over 20 years.
  • The Current
    • Article by reporter who was on the tour was good
    • Editorial opposes the project
    • Needs a letter of response from someone – Ralph Cabana will respond with the assistance of Dan/Scott

Next meetings: October 11, 2007 and October 25, 2007