SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT

SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE

 

October 9, 2008

 

 

MEETING NOTES

 

These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.

 

Present:  Lee Akerley, Molly Aldrich, Steve Bailey, Ralph Baxter, Sr., Ralph Baxter, Jr., Tom Blake, David Brochu, Ralph Cabana, Dan Cecil, Jeanne Crocker, Kathryn Germani, Suzanne Godin, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Michael Kennedy, Randall Martin, Scott Pakulski, Jake Viola, Polly Ward, Megan Welter, Kevin Woodhouse.

 

Guests:  Rick Carter, Mike Eastman – School Board; Kendall Fassett, Patti Smith, Albert DiMillo, Jay Allen, Carol Flynn, Jack Flynn, Susan Adams, Adam Perron, Roger Allen, Don Blodgett, Nancy Ann Blodgett, Kelly Martin – Public.

 

 

Community Dialogue

 

Ralph Baxter, Jr. introduced the Community Dialogue and the high school project.

 

  1. Steve Bailey asked the members of the community to respond to the following questions:
    1. Vote on one project to include all work?
    2. Phase project over several years (10 or more) with multiple votes?
    3. What else should we be considering?
  2. Kendall Fassett presented copies of a plan that he developed.
  3. A question was raised about what has to be done to address the problems – before we talk about what we need for a modern high school.
    1. #1, #2, or Top 10 items that must be addressed
    2. The community would like to see a list of problem items and what the Committee has as priorities.
  4. There was discussion about the enrollment projections for the high school.
  5. There are concerns about the potential cost of the project.
    1. There are real concerns about the cost in this economy.
  6. The Committee needs to communicate with the people who are not coming out to these meetings.
  7. It was suggested that the Committee be reconstituted with people who voted against the project.
  8. It was suggested by a member of the public that the explanation that Rick Carter provided about why we cannot expect to receive State money for the project should be put out to the public.
    1. There was a suggestion to produce a DVD showing the issues within the high school, with a voice-over that explains some of the issues such as why we are not receiving any State money.

 

 

Committee Meeting

 

  1. Welcome
  2. Minutes of September 25, 2008

A.     Dan Cecil will add more precise language to amend #11.

B.     Regarding #10, move in the original plan to the beginning of the sentence.

C.    Minutes approved with changes.

  1. Updates of Schemes - Scheme L

Scott Pakulski reviewed the further refinement of Scheme L.

A.     Suzanne Godin met with Dana Anderson, Director of Parks, Recreation and Public Works, regarding the high school gym, fields and tennis courts.

1)     Dana expressed confidence that we could use the Community Center gym for phys ed classes from the end of Basketball in one year to the beginning of Basketball in the following year.

2)     Dana indicated that there were options for the tennis courts due to their age and the need for resurfacing.

3)     There is the possibility that either the field hockey field or the tennis courts could move to the Wainwright complex.

B.     There is interest in removing the need for the second drainage pond.

C.     Harriman will have more information on site possibilities and cost projections at the next meeting.

D.    The plan is about as compact as it can be to meet the programming needs of the high school.

1)     Harriman needs to go back to Jeanne and the high school staff to identify the strengths and challenges of the current plan.

a)     Once Harriman has heard from the high school staff, they will come back to the Committee to talk about how well the scheme meets the programming needs.

b)     Harriman will meet with Athletic Director Kevin Woodhouse as well as the SPHS Musical Staff prior to the next meeting.

  1. Consideration and Approval of Survey Questions for the November Election

A.         It was suggested that the Committee modify the first sentence of the survey to list the deficiencies at the high school, and then ask question #2 as the first survey question.

B.      With Priority Issue #2 – use “code deficiencies” rather than “code upgrade”

C.         Describe “green” technologies to include sustainability and reducing operating costs.

D.        We may not want to include the new bus loop as a single item. It may be best to include it as a Health and Safety issue.

1)     Safer student drop off and entry

2)     Removes busses from Mountain View Road

E.      Include Water Issues

1)     DEP Regulation

2)     Storm Water Drainage

3)     Water Infiltration

F.      List the academic needs of students and Health and Safety issues as the first priorities listed.

G.    It was suggested that we give people direction on how to get to the web site and have the web site address each of the priorities.

H.    Try to collapse Parts I and II into one question.

      1) Question 3 should be the second question

I.       Send the survey to the list of absentee voters.

J.       We need to try to get people who would be willing to go to the polls to hand questionnaires out.

      1) Get those names to Suzanne or Steve

  1. Other

A.     The next meeting of the Secondary Schools Facilities Committee is Thursday, October 23, 2008 at Small School. The Community Dialogue will begin at 6:00 p.m., and the SSFC Meeting will begin at 7:00 p.m.

1) The following items will be discussed:

a) Green Systems – LEED Levels

b) Election Day Survey

c) 1, 3, and 5 year maintenance plan

i) This will be brought up for full discussion on November 6, 2008.

d) Site refinement and costs