SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE
November 6, 2008
These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.
Present: Lee Akerley, Molly Aldrich, Steve Bailey, Ralph Baxter, Sr., Ralph Baxter, Jr., Ellen Benson, Tom Blake, Ralph Cabana, Jeanne Crocker, Kathryn Germani, Suzanne Godin, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Michael Kennedy, Carol Marcoux, Randall Martin, Scott Pakulski, Dan Robbins, Gene Swiger, Jake Viola, Polly Ward, Megan Welter, Kevin Woodhouse.
Guests: Tim Parker Staff. Roger Allen Public.
A. Agenda for tonight
1) Energy Efficient /
A. Minutes of the 10/23/08 meeting were approved.
1) Steve distributed the revised September 25, 2008 meeting minutes.
3 1-3-5 Year Maintenance/Repair Necessities
1) Kathy suggested moving the 8th grade science room earlier in the plan due to the age of the systems in the room.
2) Should educational program items be moved to year 1?
B. Memorial Updates
1) A security system will be added in year 1.
2) A question was raised about whether any consideration should be given to the structure of the cafeteria would it be appropriate to fill in and insulate the area under the bridge so that it is not open to the elements on all four sides?
3) Should the same be considered for under the library as well?
C. The Committee discussed building security systems and the implications for all three schools.
4 Energy Efficient / Green Buildings Technology
A. Moved to the November 20, 2008 meeting.
A. Election Day Survey
1) Unbelievable coverage at each of the voting sites.
2) Ralph Cabana picked up surveys that were handed in on Election Day still has 2.5 more wards to be tabulated plus the mail-in surveys from people who voted absentee.
3) The return of surveys was substantial.
4) The results of the survey will be presented at the November 20, 2008 meeting.
5) Steve recognized the following people for their willingness to man the polling places and hand out surveys:
Susan Adams, Lee Akerley, Molly Aldrich, Kelly Amadei, Monica Banks, Mary Baxter, Ralph Baxter, Sr., Ellen Benson, Tom Blake, Rick Carter, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Kathy Houle, Maura McDonald, Lynn ONeal, Bernadette Papi, Brenda Peluso, Kelly Romagnoli, Liz Salamone, Gene Swiger, Jake Viola
B. Site Redesign
1) Switched the field hockey field and tennis courts
a) The goal of the switch is to eliminate the large pond over by the Lighthouse property.
(1) This switch of athletic areas eliminates the pond and permits the under-parking area to handle the water from the tennis courts.
(2) This configuration also permits a more efficient distribution of the geothermal wells.
b) This proposal could be disruptive to the fall field hockey program during construction.
c) This scheme compromises the sliding hill.
2) It was suggested that the Committee consider the possibility of hooking up with the bio-fuel plant that is planned for out near the transfer station.
3) A question was raised about whether there was any
final resolution as to whether the park across
6 Next Meeting
A. Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 6;30 P.M. at the Kaler Library.
B. Tentatively Planned for the Agenda:
1) Green Schools
2) Survey Data
3) Mahoney 1-3-5 Year Plan Draft 2
4) Memorial Draft 3
5) First draft of SPHS 1-3-5 year plan
6) Discussion of the SSF Committee Membership an item for a future agenda.
7) The Committee needs to look at what the Board of Education charged the Committee to do.
8) Communication with members of the community about the work the Committee is doing.