SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE
February 11, 2010
These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.
Present: Molly Aldrich, Steve Bailey, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Tom Blake, Ralph Cabana, Dan Cecil, Jeanne Crocker, Kathy Germani, Suzanne Godin, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Ross Little, Greg Marles, Randy Martin, Eric Mills, Scott Pakulski, Gene Swiger, Polly Ward, Megan Welter
Guest: Don Russell
1. Minutes of January 14, 2009
2. Recap of Presentation to the Board of Education
• Ralph Baxter reviewed the steps that had occurred since the 1/14/10 meeting.
◦ The Board met in workshop to discuss the economic status of the project on 1/26/10
◦ The meeting with the Council that was scheduled for 1/28/10 was cancelled
◦ The project was presented to the Board of Education on 2/8/10
▪ The presentation of the Committee to the Board was very well done
• Steve reported that Dillon has put the slides from the 2/8/10 presentation on the web
◦ Tony Vigue is sending a copy of the tape of the Board meeting so we can put it on the web as well.
◦ The entire Board meeting is already running on the public access channel
• There was a discussion of various questions that keep coming up and how to provide concise, accurate information in response to these questions.
◦ Should the Committee ask the City Councilors for questions they get frequently?
◦ Is there data about how the quality of schools relates to property values?
• There needs to be a conversation between the City Council and School Board regarding the funding of debt for the construction
• The Communications Sub-Committee will meet on March 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM at Central Office to identify the questions that are frequently heard and refine the next steps.
• Next steps:
◦ Board to act on the proposal in either March or April
◦ Following that, a joint meeting with the Board and the Council will be requested to talk about the plan
◦ Then we need to talk with the Council about the financing options
3. USM Video Creation
• Jeanne and Suzanne met with four inspired USM seniors who can’t wait to get going on a documentary video of the SPHS building.
• The USM students will meet with SPHS video production students to produce a student involved video to show what the facility is like for the students
• The USM students will come for a tour on the Monday or Tuesday after vacation
4. Update on Middle School Applications
• Greg has provided an initial first draft
◦ These will be shared with and improved by the school administrators
◦ They will then go to Harriman for their input
◦ The applications will be reviewed by the SSFC and then voted on by the Board
• Greg will put together the information for a High School project application
5. Next meeting:
• March 25, 2010 – SPHS Library, 6:30 - 8:30 P.M.