SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE
May 6, 2010
These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.
Present: Steve Bailey, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Tom Blake, Ralph Cabana, Dan Cecil, Jeanne Crocker, Kathy Germani, Suzanne Godin, Ross Little, Greg Marles, Eric Mills, Scott Pakulski, Dan Robbins, Polly Ward, Megan Welter
Guests: Roger Allen, Rick Carter, Tess Nacelewicz
1. Minutes of April 8, 2010
2. Report on the Middle Schools Application Process
• Polly handed out draft copies of the construction applications for Memorial and Mahoney
• SSFC members were asked to review and provide input on the applications by 5/14/10
• The finalized applications will come back to the SSFC for approval on 5/20/10
• The applications will go to the Board on 6/14/10 for final approval and then to the DOE on 6/15/10
3. View SPHS Video (USM)
• The Committee viewed a video developed by students from USM
◦ The video included comments about the school by students, the Custodial Foreman, Suzanne and Jeanne
• A question was asked about the validity of the research that was done on the asbestos statistics
• Suzanne told the Committee that Channel 8 would be running a series of pieces on schools that are having accreditation issues – S.P. is one of them. May is the month during which this will be presented.
• Suzanne reported on the workshop held to begin the development of a plan for communicating with the public about the needs for the school.
4. Harriman – November 2010 Referendum Cost Reporting
• Dan Robbins provided materials for discussion on the potential cost of the project with a November 2010 referendum
◦ Numbers for the estimate tonight are based on a 6% increase in costs
◦ The new construction cost is 5.6% greater than the amount that we saw in 12/09
• There was a request to show both the 12/09 numbers and the 5/10 numbers on the same sheet
5. Possible SPHS Plan Reductions
• The number of need portables needs to be recounted
• Take the Area H reduction -$640,734
• Remove the gas line and City storm water from the list of possible reductions
• Dan will talk to Greg Marles to determine if the asbestos cost figure can be reduced due to the asbestos abatement project to be done during the Summer of 2010.
• The Board will take a vote on 5/10/10 on the timing of the referendum provided that the FY ’11 budget passes.
7. Next meeting:
• May 20, 2010 – SPHS Library, 6:30 - 8:30 PM