SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE
May 20, 2010
These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.
Present: Steve Bailey, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Maxine Beecher, Tom Blake, Dan Cecil, Jeanne Crocker, Kathy Germani, Suzanne Godin, Ross Little, Greg Marles, Randy Martin, Eric Mills, Dan Robbins, Gene Swiger, Polly Ward, Megan Welter, Kevin Woodhouse
Guests: Susan Adams, Roger Allen, Rick Carter, Don Russell, Rick Wright
1. Minutes of May 6, 2010
2. Middle School Applications
• Mahoney application included comments that were provided by the SSFC members.
• Memorial application included comments that were provided by the SSFC members.
• Dan Cecil questioned the adequacy of the rooms as indicated on the application. He offered to take a look at other schools’ applications to see how they had answered.
• The SSFC agreed to send the applications forward to the Board of Education with the proposed changes.
3. Harriman Report (project cost minus reductions)
• Dan Robbins reviewed the List of Project Cost Reduction Items. Greg will talk to Unitil about the gas line. Current project cost is $44,178,350.
◦ The Committee needs to update the Board on the new cost figure.
• The Committee anticipates a joint meeting with the City Council on June 28, 2010.
4. Communications Plan
• Don Russell provided background on the development of the Communications Plan. The Communications Sub Committee has not had time to digest the plan.
◦ The Sub-Committee will have time to review and work on the Plan, and come back with specific recommendations on June 3, 2010.
• The Communications Sub-Committee will need to meet soon.
5. Next meeting:
• June 3, 2010 – SPHS Library, 6:30 - 8:30 PM
• Suzanne will be in contact with the volunteers to plan the presentation to the City Council – Jeanne, Greg, Eric, Megan