SOUTH PORTLAND SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
SECONDARY SCHOOLS FACILITIES COMMITTEE

October 8, 2009

MEETING NOTES

These notes were prepared by Polly Ward to the best of her understanding. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact the Superintendent of Schools Office at 871-0555 within one week after receiving the notes.

Present: Scott Pakulski, Dan Cecil, Steve Bailey, Ralph Cabana, Jeanne Crocker, Ralph Baxter, Jr., Kathy Germani, Greg Marles, Carrie Hall-Indorf, Tom Blake, Suzanne Godin, Megan Welter, Molly Aldrich, Maxine Beecher, Kevin Woodhouse, Polly Ward.

Guests: James Gilboy, Rick Carter, Susan Adams, Sara Goldberg.

Minutes of September 24, 2009
The Committee made a change under “Green Technology”. Minutes accepted with change.

Program Review
Started with a meeting on 9/30/09 to review the program developed in 2006. Made pretty good headway but needed more time.
“On Campus” program swapped with Guidance in the plan from 2006.
Modified the Administrative reception area for security purposes.
Swapped the clinic and JMG to move the clinic closer to the center of the school.
Provided greater doorway space for egress/access to the Gymnasium.
Change in locker rooms in the area under the Gymnasium-may not be as gender specific.
Added an extra Math classroom-now the same as other core courses.
Cafeteria/library – multi purpose space puts the project room more central, enables it to be opened up and adds a stage area with storage underneath.
Night entry has been simplified.
Next Wednesday, October 14, 2009 the program review meeting will begin by looking at Athletic/Maintenance needs.
Discussion of the number of parking spaces needed.
Storage in garage currently on the parking lot will need to be relocated
Site lighting-Harriman will investigate opportunities for energy savings in the site lighting.
Harriman is trying to meet with City staff on October 16, 2009.

Timeline for referendum
Want to make a recommendation to the Board of Education on the timing- this will have a big impact on the work plan.
Suggestion of June 2010, November 2010 and 18 months out.
Harriman can meet the timeline for getting a project to referendum in June.
Consensus to go to referendum in June 2010 – this Committee recommends to the Board that we go to referendum in June 2010.

Joint Meeting
City Council workshop with the Board at 6:30pm on October 26, 2009 at the Community Center.
Goal is to bring the Board and the Council up-to-date on where we are with the planning and the timeline – straight informational.
Start with report of the survey that we got after the last referendum.
This is what we heard from the surveys.
This is what we have done - revised plan, green technology.
Stress savings being seen in other school bids.
NEASC report progress.
Have the meeting taped for Public Access Channel.
June versus November referendum, why recommending June-start with timeline.
Information on the purpose of the meeting should go out with the notice of the meeting – clear that this meeting is just for bringing everyone up to date on the process that we will be using on the project.
People who will present:
Suzanne Godin Ralph Cabana
Jeanne Crocker Greg Marles
Harriman

Suzanne provided copies of the August 2009 rules governing Major Capital Projects. The timeline from the
9/24/09 meeting is still the plan for the State.

At the 10/14/09 Council meeting, Council will be considering requiring all Municipal buildings to be LEED Certified.

7. Next meeting: October 22, 2009 6:30pm-8:30pm – SPHS Library

 

 

PSW/nlf